Friday, October 2, 2009

Some Tips for Charter Communications

Today I had my first experience using the online chat with Charter Communications. I figured since I had a very simple question, it would be easier and faster than calling them and going through a rather painful automated system (I found out that if I just press '0' a few times I'll eventually get a human). Anyway, let's jump into it and I'll interject some tips. My question: What do I have to add to my cable service to get the NHL Network, and how much will it cost?


Thank you for choosing Charter Chat Live! A Customer Care representative
from Sales Support will be with you shortly.
You have been connected to CVW FA Charles .
CVW FA Charles : Hello, this is Charles, with Charter Communications. How can I help you today?

Point 1: Good start, I was only waiting about 10 seconds. So far, so good.

Fred Yingling: I am interested in getting the NHL network, what do I have to add to my cable service to get it and how much will it cost?
CVW FA Charles : Oh ok, we have a team here at Charter that is specifically trained to handle requests like yours. Let me transfer you to our video support group who can help you with your nhl inquiry.
CVW FA Charles has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the CHAT - DUMA - Video Support department to assist you.

Point 2: Here is where things start to go wrong. When I click the Help Chat link on the page about pricing, shouldn't someone that can help me with that be on the other end?

You have been connected to TTD Gregory .
TTD Gregory : Hello! Thank you for contacting Charter Communications. My name is Gregory. How may I assist you today?
Fred Yingling: I am interested in getting the NHL network, what do I have to add to my cable service to get it and how much will it cost?
TTD Gregory : No problem! I would be more than happy to assist you with the cost of adding the NHL Center Ice package on your account.

Point 3: Please read the question I asked before you try to answer the one I didn't

TTD Gregory : For verification purposes, may I have the full name on the account, contact number, complete address, the last four digits of the account holder's SSN, and PIN code or Security Code? You can find your Security Code at the upper right corner of your paper bill.

Point 4: Why do you need my specific account info for this? Wouldn't just a street address work? I only asked for pricing, not to add it to my account.

Fred Yingling: not Center Ice
Fred Yingling: I already have that
Fred Yingling: the NHL Network is not part of Center Ice
TTD Gregory : Are you referring to the channel?
Fred Yingling: yes
TTD Gregory : Okay.

Point 5: Now we're up to speed.

TTD Gregory : Please give me the information.
Fred Yingling: I don't want to add it yet, I just want to know how much it costs.
TTD Gregory : Yes.
TTD Gregory : I will not add it on your account.
TTD Gregory : I'll just need to pull up your account so that I could check it.

Point 6: See Point 4.

Fred Yingling: I don't have the bill in front of me, so I don't know the code and the account is under my fiancee's name
TTD Gregory : Please give me the rest of the information. After I pull up the account, I will check if there is any other verification available to replace the Security Code or PIN.

Point 7: Didn't I just tell you that I don't have the info in front of me? Secondly, see Point 4, again.

Fred Yingling: the name on the account is my fiancee's name
Fred Yingling: address: my address
Fred Yingling: my name should be a secondary on the account
TTD Gregory : Thank you for the information.

Point 8: So that is all the info you needed? Then why did you keep asking me about the account number, SSN, PIN?

TTD Gregory : I checked the channel lineup in your area, and I see that NHL Network is available on channel 320. It is included in our Sports View. The Sports View is for $5.00 a month and it has 16 channels all in all.
Fred Yingling: And this is standard definition, right? I do not have an HDTV.
TTD Gregory : Yes. This is standard definition.
Fred Yingling: Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Fred Yingling: One more question
Fred Yingling: Is it possible to call on a Saturday to place that order?
TTD Gregory : Yes. We are open 24/7.
Fred Yingling: Thanks

Point 9: Ends on a high note. I got the info I needed and was told they are open 24/7. That is a good thing.

Truth be told, it wasn't a terrible experience. I got what I needed and was pleasantly surprised by the price (which rarely, if ever, happens when speaking about a telecom company). The whole thing didn't take terribly long and it was bookended (probably not a word) by two solid pieces of customer service. They just need to work on the middle part, you know, finding the info in a quick and concise manor.

The takeaway from all of this is that it could have been worse, but it certainly could have been better had the Customer Service Representative listened to what I was asking.

1 comment: